Sunday, February 24, 2008

On Dreams and Girls and my Love for (and thoughts on) the Remake...

As I sit here reflecting on the beauty that is Dreamgirls, I'm filled with a myriad of emotions. The first, of course, is satisfaction, as the film is a most pleasurable spectacle for the eye to behold. Second is pride, because the all-Black cast certainly pulled it off (even Beyonce, I wouldn't go as far as saying her performance was Oscar worthy, but she did good nonetheless) with finesse. And third (because I like to do things in threes) I'm feeling mighty contemplative right now. There were so many issues (not all negative, but worth a little consideration) that were brought up in the film - issues of sexism and racism and I guess you can say colorism, and the list goes on.

But I'll get to all that later. First, I just want to muse on just how wonderful I found the film to be. The music. Oh sweet Mother Goddess, it was wonderful! When Jennifer Hudson sang "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going," I literally had tears in my eyes. I'm a lover of voices - good voices that is. Instruments, performance, and the like are great and certainly have the power to move me. But there is nothing like a good voice and that girl know she can sing! I keep thinking, that's the same girl from American Idol (and yes I thought she could blow back then too) up there singing her ass off. Damn. That's all I can say. But she's not the only one. Anika Noni Rose was also great and so was Beyonce.
What's so ironic to me are the similarities between Beyonce, Deena and Beyonce's top billing in the credits. First of all, I must admit that I have a love-hate relationship (ok, ok, so it's not a true relationship) with Beyonce. So yeah she is most definitely beautiful and sexy as hell (with make-up, I think she's the only woman I find more attractive with make-up), but looks aside I don't know how comfortable I am with her persona. No, I don't mean the innocent, good girl persona her Daddy and publicist try so hard to present; I mean the Diana Ross-divaesque-cut-members-out-of-the-group-and-steal-the-limelight-so-that-I-can-make-the-group-the-stepping-stone-for-my-solo-career persona that seems to seep through the hype. I don't care how shy she might pretend to or actually be, you have to be cut throat to get rid of two original members of a group that you've known since childhood and make said group into a solo thing with two back up singers. Damn. Beyonce is a beast!

And so is Deena. Deena did the same thing in the movie. Used that innocent fascade to mask her inner monster. And you know, I'm really all for women getting fierce for what they want, but somehow Beyonce rubs me the wrong way. Why can't women get ahead without stepping on other women? Why can't we be successful with other women? Why does it have to be a me or them thing instead of a us thing? I was thinking about that as I watched the movie. If Effie and Deena had just said, fuck you Curtis Taylor jr. we don't succumb to the oppression of patriarchy even from our black brother, things would've been so much better for the both of them. Probably though, things would've been different in a bad way. At least for Deena. There would be no Deena and the Dreams, only two Black women in line for welfare checks, instead of one. The world wasn't ready for women running things back then and it certainly isn't now.
But back to the irony. Isn't ironic how Beyonce - like Deena - gets top billing over Jennifer Hudson who literally made the movie? And ask me who can sing better; Beyonce was out of her league in this one. She can't act and though she can sing, she sho did get upstaged by this chubby, American Idol reject who deserves every accolade she gets and more. I said it before, Jennifer Hudson can blow. But whatever, I still think Beyonce can sing and I sure did have my baby daddy give me the bootleg (no I did not spend my hard earned money on her album - never that) version of her first solo cd and yeah I loved it. I do, however, hate how Beyonce gets all the attention for this when her performace is so obviously sub-par when compared to that of Hudson. I'm not trying to pit the two against each other (ok, ok so I don't have the power to do that). I'm all for sisterhood well in this case I mean sistahood (for those who may be unfamiliar I'm referring to the common bond and support shared between two Black women), but what's fair is fair. Jennifer Hudson is the star of the remake of Dreamgirls.

Well, I've reached the end of my written ponderance of the Dreamgirls film. I didn't touch on a fraction of the forementioned issues I found, but I feel compelled to end here. Obviously I thought very highly of the film. I say obviously because in addition to this lengthy blog I've written, I felt compelled to bring my lazy ass down to the basement, boot-up the computer and write this piece after a long pause if you will since my last entry and since I last wrote anything (some journalism major I am). So here I sit at 2:34 am on Christmas or I'm sorry the first day Kwanzaa (Habari Ghani to all my fellow celebrants) reviewing the film. So I'll end with this: I strongly urge everyone to see the film! It was great! Jennifer Hudson was great! Anika Noni Rose's performance was great (and her giggle at the beginning infectious)! Beyonce looked great with all her make-up and sang beautifully on "Listen". It was just great!

NOTE: I do not hate Beyonce. I am somewhat of a fan. I just have some problems with the working of her inner beast is all.

1 comment:

Little Miss Knobody said...

I agree whole heartedly